Skip to content ↓

The History of our School

Local verbal history claims that before being used as a school, the building was used as an almshouse. In 1843, the rector at that time, the Reverend William James Copleston contributed £204 to the £358 needed to convert the old Church House into a school. Although the building was ready in 1844, the first Head Teacher was not appointed until 1862, and lived in the schoolhouse, which is now the library and offices.

St. Andrew's School, 1932 postcard

St. Andrew's School, Front view - 1950s?

St. Andrew's School, pre-1932 (detail)

Plaque on outside of St. Andrew's School

St. Andrew's School, pre-1932 (detail)

St. Andrew's School, class photo, 1922